Dr Corey Wrenn
University of Kent
Animal rights, Irish studies, feminism, social movements, veganism
Dr. Wrenn is Lecturer of Sociology with the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research (SSPSSR) and Co-Director of the Centre for the Study of Social and Political Movements at the University of Kent. She received her Ph.D. in Sociology with Colorado State University in 2016. She was awarded Exemplary Diversity Scholar, 2016 by the University of Michigan’s National Center for Institutional Diversity. She served as council member with the American Sociological Association’s Animals & Society section (2013-2016), was elected Chair in 2018, and co-founded the International Association of Vegan Sociologists in 2020. She serves as Book Review Editor for Society & Animals and Editor for The Sociological Quarterly, is a member of The Vegan Society’s Research Advisory Committee, and hosts Sociology & Animals Podcast. Dr. Wrenn has been published in several peer-reviewed academic journals including the Journal of Gender Studies, Environmental Values, Feminist Media Studies, Disability & Society, Food, Culture & Society, and Society & Animals. In July 2013, she founded the Vegan Feminist Network, an academic-activist project engaging intersectional social justice praxis.
- A Rational Approach to Animal Rights: Extensions in Abolitionist Theory (Palgrave MacMillan 2016)
- Piecemeal Protest: Animal Rights in the Age of Nonprofits (University of Michigan Press 2019)
- Animals in Irish Society (SUNY Press 2021)
- w. A. Lizardi. 2020. “Older, Greener, and Wiser: Charting the Experiences of Older Women in the American Vegan Movement.” Journal of Women & Aging. Online first.
- 2019. “The Vegan Society and Social Movement Professionalization, 1944-2017.” Food and Foodways 27 (3): 190-210.
- 2019. “Atheism in the American Animal Rights Movement:
An Invisible Majority.” Environmental Values 28 (6): 715-739.
- 2018. “Pussy Grabs Back. Bestialized Sexual Politics and the Intersectional Failure in the Protest Posters for the 2017 Women’s March.” Feminist Media Studies 19 (6): 803-821.
- 2017. “Trump Veganism: A Political Survey of American Vegans in the Era of Identity Politics.” Societies 7 (4): 32.
- 2017. “Fat Vegan Politics: A Survey of Fat Vegan Activists’ Online Experiences with Social Movement Sizeism.” Fat Studies 6 (1): 90-102.
- w. J. Clark, M. Judge, K. Gilchrist, D. Woodlock, K. Dotson, R. Spanos, and J. Wrenn. 2015. “The Medicalization of Nonhuman Animal Rights: Frame Contestation and the Exploitation of Disability.” Disability & Society 30 (9): 1307-1327.
Any students, researchers, or media may solicit contact information from our affiliates via email@example.com.